Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Homemade Strawberry Milk

Have you ever had a time in your life when you feel completely overwhelmed? You know-like you are drowning and no matter how hard you try you just can't get your head above water? That's been my last couple of weeks. I love my life-wouldn't trade it for anything. I love my husband and each one of our children. They are all such a blessing to me. HOWEVER I am one person-there are 5 of them. My job is to take care of them-their laundry, their meals, help with homework, find time for each of them, make sure we read scriptures and say prayers, try to keep our house clean. I drive my kids to school, activity days, soccer, dance, young womens-trying to keep the car clean is almost impossible!! In the midst of all of the responsibility I want "fun" time with each one of these awesome 5 people, too. Date night with Casey and atleast a good conversation or reading a book with each one of the kids is a must. I am in the Young Womens Presidency of our ward-love my girls and the women I serve with-this takes some time even though I love it. Lots of work but seriously the best calling in the world! I am a visiting teacher. Then to squeeze in "me" time-scriptures, reading a good book, time at the temple, down time. It can be crazy!

Yesterday I decided it's a new week so I ran to Costco to get some milk and fresh fruit-strawberries, grapes, peaches, pineapple-we all love it and it sure makes good snacks for us while we are home and to send with Casey to work. I also got a good start on the laundry, swept & mopped the tile, cleaned the bathrooms, glanced at my lesson for Sunday and made some phone calls that needed to be made. I am telling you this for a reason...

Today Alyssa needed to go to dance immediately after school. Shay wanted to stay home and hang out with friends. I cut up some strawberries & grapes and left them in a bowl for them to have a snack while we were gone. When I came home there were 3 giggling girls in my kitchen. They were THRILLED-I knew I would not be from the looks on their faces. (REMEMBER-I BOUGHT FRUIT & MILK TO LAST THE WEEK SO I'D BE PREPARED & I HAD MOPPED THE FLOOR!!!!) The cute girls decided to make homemade strawberry milk. Instead of using the Quick syrup they got out the strainer, mashed a ton of strawberries, mixed them with quite a bit of milk and sweetened the concoction with sugar-lots of it. As they were pouring and measuring and stirring they had a few spills. So trying to be helpful they used about 7 washcloths and 4 dishrags-some soaked in water, some not. The counters were smeared with trying to be cleaned up yummies, my feet are sticking to the floor. My blood is boiling-I can't say anything because I am trying not to cry. I calmly talked them thru why this probably wasn't a great idea-they excitedly explained why it was and tried to give me the glass they saved just for me.

Thankfully Casey walked thru the door right when I wanted to crack. He smiled, then he laughed, then he tasted their awesome drink and said it might need to go in the blender with some ice-he'd help them fix it. Such a relief to have him home to downplay the situation before I flipped. I am so grateful for him-he is so much calmer than me! I have so much to learn from him. I think he's chilled me out a ton-I obviously still have a long way to go. I think tomorrow I'll go back to Costco for more strawberries and milk and then I'll invite these cute girls back over to replay the afternoon-this time I'll enjoy their creativity, their yummy recipes & their smiles and giggles. I will for sure wait to re-mop the floor til they leave! ;)

5 comments:

stacey said...

Joy, I love this story! I think it would be fun if you do it agian, the girls would have so much fun. You are a great mom, just remember to breath :)

Jeremy and Heidi said...

I think you handled it really well--I think I might have gotten upset! Thanks for posting this story, it will help me to remember to be more like Joy when my kids do things that make my head almost explode.

Angie said...

I'm right there with you, sister! Its good that our other half can be calm when we are not and vice versa! If you need me to watch a kid or two I know Talon and Kinley would love to play with them!

Joy & Casey said...

Ok-didn't recreate the whole moment. Just thought it would be nice to when I felt bad about my almost crazy mom reaction! I got over that fast! LOL Heidi-you wanna hope Jeremy is more like Casey when your head wants to explode!!! Angie-these Olson boys rock! ;)

Mindy said...

Loved this post. Love you.