Friday, October 23, 2009

Big Gates & Small Hinges

So....nothing gets me in a worse mood than seeing orange cones appear on the side of the road knowing I am coming into construction. I am ALWAYS late and this is a sign that I'm just going to be later. Nice. Sometimes I'm grateful for a good excuse for why I'm late this time! ;) The worst part is the crusty construction worker sign holder guys (Nice title-not sure what they are called)-they give me crusty looks and signal me to slow down as they hold their "slow down" sign and I give them crusty looks because "Hello! You're sorta ruining my day." Never thought twice about it-I don't like them & they don't like me-feeling is mutual. It's all good. AND every flippin road in South Jordan is under construction. Lame! Can't get anywhere without frustration.

Yesterday I took Shaylee to take some pictures for her 4th grade report on Utah County. We drove down Redwood to take a picture by the Utah County sign that's by Camp Williams-then went to Utah Lake to get pictures of it & Mt Timpanogas-then stopped at a gas station to get some post cards for her poster. As I drove into Saratoga Springs I saw orange cones and immediately felt ticked. However, the first "slow down" sign holder did the weirdest thing-she smiled and waved at me. Strange. I smiled & waved back and was actually ok with this construction zone. Same thing happened as I drove thru South Jordan to come home-the guy smiled and waved. NEVER happened before-EVER-in my life. I waited til he turned his back so I could take a quick picture of him-didn't want him to think I was a weird construction worker stalker or anything!

Made me think about something President Uchtdorf said in the First Presidency Message in the September Ensign.
"Big gates move on small hinges. Sisters, your example in seemingly small things will make a big difference in the lives of our young people."

I hope you see the connection I see. These guys HAVE to hold signs-it's their job. They have to encourage us to slow down and I'm sure it's frustrating to hold that sign day after day and deal with people like me who hate them. It'd be way easier for them to be grumpy and just do their job-but a simple smile and wave for me made a huge difference. In my life I have the opportunity to make a big difference in other's lives also-my family, my friends, my young women, strangers, etc. I hope I can be "delightful" (I love that word) and help other's on their journey of life. I love the thought of the big gate moving on a small hinge~I don't do anything spectacular in my life but I hope the little things I do somehow make a difference.

Next time I see a crusty construction sign holder guy telling me to slow down I'll try smiling and waving. It might just make his day a little brighter and change his attitude about his job....might even feel a little happier myself! ;)

1 comment:

Kristen and Co. said...

Awesome insight Joy! Thanks for sharing.