Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Once in a lifetime.....






The youth in our Stake have the awesome opportunity to participate in the Temple Cultural Celebration for the Oquirrh Mountain Temple.  Our Stake is doing the 50's-we have some of our youth dancing and some singing in the choir.  I attend dance practice with the kids and tonight was incredible!!!  Our building is right next door to the temple-brings such a neat spirit as you glance at the beautiful Temple when you are walking into the church!!  Before they start their practice they have a prayer, a scripture, & the youth all sing a song-tonight it was "I Love To See the Temple" all with no piano-incredible to hear them!!!  It brought tears to my eyes.  Ok-I cried like a baby!!!  The dance practice is really a challenge for them to get but it was amazing to watch their progress tonight!  I didn't get the opportunity to serve a mission BUT I have heard how miraculous it is that missionaries can learn a language in such a short amount of time because of the Spirit.  I believe we are witnessing that with our youth-they are learning this HARD dance and dancing with eachother-boys with girls!!!  To see a gym full of youth 12-18 willingly working hard and doing their best is incredible but it really is coming together.  Miraculous!
They cut the practice short by 1/2 hour and announced we were going on a field trip.  David Archuletta's voice coach was at the other building with the choir and we got to go there to see him.  There was a TON of excitement and lots of screaming OF COURSE.  As we filed into the gym with the choir they just continued their practice-no David yet.  Their music was beautiful!
At the end of their practice the voice coach announced he was friends with David-that David was coming to share his testimony-but that he was lost.  He asked the kids to not scream or tackle him-to be respectful-and remember we are in a church.  He shared what an awesome missionary David Archuletta is-that there have been 20 baptisms because of him and 4 members of his band have received a Book of Mormon from him.  Not because he's David Archuletta but because he is an example-just like our theme this year-Be Thou An Example of the Believers!!!  As we waited the voice coach sat at the piano and played primary songs and everyone sang-seriously so cool!  I cried like a baby again.  These are TEENAGERS IN 2009-growing up in this ugly confused world!!  The Spirit was so strong as they sang Armies of Helaman, A Child's Prayer, & I Am A Child Of God...I just can't even put it all into words.  He didn't ask them to sing-he sat at the piano and played and they sang.  When David came the kids were SO excited of course but I think they did so good staying under control.  He listened to them sing and then shared his sweet testimony of music.  He told them how awesome it was to be a part of The Day of Celebration...I am sure that got them more excited about their own experience that is coming!!!  He wasn't allowed to sing because he's within a few miles & a few days of his concert but it was cool to hear him talk to them.  The Spirit was incredible.  I know they were all touched!!!  This is for sure the first of many great opportunities in the next few months!  What a cool thing to hear David Archuletta share his testimony in a church-totally casual-and to feel the Spirit as he spoke.  These kids and leaders :)  were so blessed!!!  Here are some pics:  k-dumb-they went to the top....I'm not so good at this!  haha

4 comments:

The Olson Gang said...

THAT IS AWESOME!!! I am soooo jealous! I hate seeing and hearing that this is what I am missing! :( But, I suppose it will be even better when the actual production takes place... (it's just all the behind the scene events that put it all together and make it what it will be in the end!) You are such an amazing person! I just love your spirit! I love your example! You are just so TRUE - HONEST - UNWAVERING! I just love you! You are a beacon of light & strength for all these young people! (and me too! ~ can I be put in the "young" category? :) ) Great youth come from great leaders! Thanks for sharing this experience....

the Brakey's said...

Kaiti would mess her pants!!! That is so much fun! We are getting excited her to participate in the Temple celebration too. Not sure what decade we are, I just know we are doing a baseball dance and the kids think it's cool! Can't wait, thanks for sharing!

stacey said...

what a neat experience that you had! I think it would be awesome to listen to him sing, but his testimony probably topped that. What a great example of a righteous LDS young adult. I am sure the girls will NEVER forget it.

Princess Academy said...

wow! What a great experience I love that you shared it so those of us in the outs have an idea --I heard he came and thought it was a rumor too cool!